Sunday, March 3, 2013

You like Cotes du Rhone?! I'm shocked!

Hi, my name is Rachael and I am a Cote du Rhone-aholic.
 
 
The thing about this wine is that it is like your boyfriend/husband/cat... reliably good, always there, cheap, and you know what you're getting without having to look too hard. It also stays well overnight.
 
Applause.. I'll be here always.
 

Alain Jaume & Fils
Grand Veneur, Reserve
Cotes du Rhone, 2009
 
Rhone reds from 2009 have surprised me with their overt jammy style. Dense blackberry cobbler when room temp and freshly opened... I would have mistaken it for a Central Coast, CA Syrah. Vanilla, baking spices, black fruit, and a full thick mouthfeel had this bad girl on the track to jam town, and not in a good way, blech.
 
Like a good lady, left to its own devices overnight she became much more sassy and spicy.
 
Chilled, but with the fruit still there, this wine came alive tonight. Sassy and punchy with a better showing of acidity, while still smelling like a cooling blackberry cobbler on a rainy day.
 
Not my favorite CDR,but reliable in its character and pleasantness.
 
I'm still drinking it, so despite a $20 price tag, I think it is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment