Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Not Your Mama's "Essential Red"


Bogle Vineyards
Essential Red
(Old Vine Zinfandel, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petite Sirah)
California, 2009
 
 
Anyone who has met me knows I am a cheap-o. I love coupons, sales, free stuff, and Kroger fuel points, which is probably why I love Bogle. I can get most of their wines for under $10, and they are dependably good enough for everyday drinking. Back in the day before Boyfriend was trained in wine buying better, he would grab me the Bogle Petite Sirah and he always did good.
 
Bogle was founded by some technology bajillionaire, so I appreciate them making wine for the masses.
 
I have been wanting to try this new-ish red blend, I love their single varietal wines, really enjoyed their Phantom Blend, so why not.
 
Basically, this is a badass everyday red! Big and luscious and juicy, it drinks like a lot more than the $9.49 I paid for it at Target. Decanted and chilled to cellar temp, this wine was beautiful. Dark berry, dense fruit, jammy and complex, with a smooth finish and round tannins. It wasn't too acidic, it felt plush and soft on the palate, and was just so good.
 
Seriously, you could invite super serious wine snobs over, pour this from a decanter and they would get Wino wood, and you'd never have to tell them it was 2nd shelf grocery store. Or you could after they raved about it and do a sassy "in yo' face snobs" doing your best NeNe Leakes impression.
 
This will be a great summer barbeque wine, because it chills so well and the intense fruit will go great with smoky BBQ goodness. But don't wait til June to buy it, Target is still open, go now.


No comments:

Post a Comment