Friday, July 22, 2011

Crios Torrontes

Crios de Susana Balbo
Torrontes - 2010
Salta, Argentina

Torrontes is a relatively new variety for me to get into. I am a big chewy red girl who cut my teeth on Argentine malbecs and Aussie shiraz, but I am beginning to dabble in light whites. I first tried Torrontes at work ("taste all you want, just don't get drunk" they tell me, love my job!) and was intrigued by the different flavor profile and wanted to try more (plus it fits right into Boyfriend's palate).

The Crios torrontes was as I expected, very light in color with a floraly-herbaceous nose with sparks of grapefruit, honeysuckle, and melon. It tasted exactly like it smells. I was struck how much this version presented itself as a grassy sauvignon blanc. It was a bit one note and almost too sweet for me. This is an excellent after dinner white for people looking for something with a floral character but is not as perfumey and sweet as a muscat.

Boyfriend liked it, I wasnt thrilled, but I didn't dislike it. It wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't turn it down either.

No comments:

Post a Comment